Crystal Healing to Strengthen the Body
Crystals have long been used to relieve stress and help heal the body. So it's no surprise that some people opt for crystal healing, a non-invasive therapy that relies on these unusual gems for their perceived restorative and healthful properties.
What is Crystal Healing?Okay, some people say it's a lot of old bunk. But others – even well-known actors such as Shirley MacLaine and Michael York – say that crystals have mystical powers, and can do everything from protect people from muggers to help restore their dreams.
The way it works is simple: crystals or gemstones are placed on parts of the body which are identified as being “chakras”, or having a specific life force. There are seven basic energy centres in the body and seven colours attached to them, so crystals of different corresponding colours are used.
It is thought the getting rid of all negative energy in a specific place can aid healing, and that is what the crystals are used for. In a nutshell, they get rid of the bad and by doing so heal and help bring in the good.
There are several other ways in which crystal healing is used as well:
- You can wear a gemstone or crystal to heal you, keep you healthy and protect you
- Crystals can be placed in your bed as you sleep, or around a bath as you bathe
- You can visit a crystal healer, or someone who is trained in the art of crystal healing, who can place specific crystals on you to heal a certain ailment
- They can be used during a specialised crystal meditation, when you either hold a crystal or place it next to you and meditate whilst concentrating on it
- Crystals can be used in crystal reflexology and/or massage, where certain smooth crystals are chosen to rub along the skin
- Some people soak a gem in water then drink it (with the gem removed!), or make an essence with a soaked crystal or gem, water and alcohol
Can Crystals Be Harmful?
Using crystals is not harmful. What can be harmful, however, is if you rely on them to the exclusion of other medicine/cures.
For example, if you believe a crystal amulet will protect you so you take excessive risk, that can be harmful. Similarly, if you are diagnosed with cancer and are told you need chemotherapy but rely on crystal healing instead, that can also harm your health and wellbeing.
Most crystal practitioners say that crystal healing is a way to focus yourself on what your body needs, kind of like a form of mediation. It is a complementary technique and not intended to replace any type of medical care.
Think of it this way: if you are fighting a long-term illness with regular hospital care, crystal healing alongside your regular medication and therapies can help focus your optimism, give you a better sense of wellbeing and help you cope better.
Follow these rules to get the most from your crystals:
- Remember that you should always cleanse a crystal before handling it, as it can hold another person's energy. You can cleanse them with light, water, herbs or even pure sound vibrations!
- You should also always “programme and dedicate” (stating your intention) a crystal to avoid its healing properties being depleted.
- Don't forget that crystals need to recharge from time to time.
- Different crystals have different properties. It is often thought the crystals choose you because of what they can offer. Have they made the right decision? Only you can know....